Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Enjoy the Season!

For the better part of my football watching career, I've listened to everyone talk about how much Brett Favre loves football and loves being with the guys. I used to think it was all hogwash, and that everyone loves the game as much as he does. But I've come to realize they don't. Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wZb9znkboc. After watching that video I am now realizing that this guy is one of a kind. He defines what I love about sports. He's stubborn, competitive, great, tough, etc. He truly embraces the concept of a team. I've often scoffed at the idea of the locker room chemistry. But watch this video, and look at these guys. It's not scripted, it's not for the cameras, it's for themselves. You've got stars like Adrian Peterson, Brett Favre, Jared Allen, and Percy Harvin just enjoying the moment. Percy Harvin and Brett Favre are almost 20 years apart in age, and they're fooling around like a bunch of high schoolers. These are professionals playing a game, and we forget that a lot, because with the pressure and scrutiny from the media they usually act like robots.
I think this Vikings team is special. It is made up of draft picks with Mckinnie, Peterson, Harvin, Greenway, Sidney Rice, and Phil Loadholt. It has great free agent signings with Winfield, Hutchinson, Longwell, Leber, and Favre. It has a asset acquired in a trade with Jared Allen. This team has come together and created the most cohesive, and balanced unit in the NFL. There are four teams left, and which team would be the most fun to celebrate with or spend a night out with? The answer is easy it's the vikings. Don't get me wrong the other teams are good in their own right, and I haven't made my predictions yet, I've still not 100% convinced the Vikings are going to win. But I feel like the Vikings are special this year. They give me that feeling I got when I watched the Red Sox finally win one. There are so many weapons and great personalities on this team.
The Vikings haven't accomplished anything great yet, but they might. We fans are so jaded and pessimistic we can't stop and enjoy what's happening. We beat the Packers with their guy. We embarrassed the Cowboys. Now we'll face the toughest test this week. I just hope that old #4, the playing the game like a kid, the gunslinger can keep his wranglers on, and win two more games.

2 comments:

General Larry Platt said...

.....Looking like a fool with the gold in your mouth, hat turned sideway, pant hit the ground, call yourself a cool cat.......

Josh said...

I used to smoke crack with the General.