Wednesday, March 25, 2009

American Idol


American idol is interesting to me. Don't get me wrong I love it. But what does it say about the music industry? I think it shows that the biggest names aren't necessarily the most talented. Look at the list of people American Idol has produced; David Cook, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Pickler, Chris Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, and Kelly Clarkson. Now I'm sure I'm missing a few, but these are some of the biggest names in music. So what would all of these people be doing if not for American Idol? I'm sure some of them would be working in the industry, but most of them would be living a very normal life, and just have an untapped talent. So is the music industry really based on talent alone? Chris Daughtry was a local talent for years, but also had a regular job, like the rest of us. After NOT winning idol, his first album sold more copies in the first week, than any other rock album in HISTORY! So is he the best rocker of all time?

Look at sports, the biggest names are the best, and they prove that, Lebron, Kobe, Ovechkin, Crosby, AP, Moss, Brady, Pujols, Jeter, and the list goes on and on. But if we had an American Idol of sports would we find a roofer out there that can bat .320 and drive in 115 runs? No, of course not. Sports has american idols in little leagues, and high schools, and colleges, until you reach the pros. The whole process is American Idol.

So the music industry is based more on promotion, marketing, timeliness, rather than talent. I find that very odd. Are the Beatles the best band of all time. How do we know that. Is Van Halen better than their cover band the Atomic Punks? I can't tell the difference if I had my eyes closed, hell I probably couldn't tell the difference if I had my eyes open. So how do we know that paying $300 to see the Eagles is worth it more than going to the Coon Rapids fireworks and seeing the Rocking Hollywoods. It's an interesting industry because the accountant at your work might have been the next Kelly Clarkson if she would have tried out for American Idol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

vegas blog?