Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Slug Life"

My friend came up with the term "Slug Life." I am going to try and describe the meaning to you. It is used in the same way "thug life" is used. It describes a way of life for people. The meaning of Thug Life according to the urban dictionary is the opposite of someone having all he needs to succeed. Thug life is when you have nothing, and succeed, when you have overcome all obstacles to reach your aim.

Spinning off of that meaning,the meaning of Slug Life is as follows. It is when you have the means, resources, and opportunity to live a fulfilling, fun, and successful life, and you choose not to based on laziness, and lack of motivation. When your only obstacle is yourself.

Now I know that that can mean a lot of different things for a lot of different people. When I was in high school we had to make up prophecies. I came up with this saying and I think it still rings true today. You can be dead when you're alive, but you can't be alive when you're dead. I am at the age now where people are at a major junction in life. Do I get married, do I have kids, those kinds of major questions. Every body handles it differently. Some want to start a family, and settle down right away, and that is fine. Some want to enjoy the freedom while they can, and that is fine too. I think what happens far to often is people don't know how to balance both sides. So their solution is to live the "Slug Life." I think these are the same people that are going to have these mid life crisis in 15-20 years because of all they wanted to do and didn't do it when they had the opportunity. They settle on a routine and do the same thing over and over just because it's what they've done for so long. They stay with a partner who is not who they want to spend the rest of their life with, just because that's how it's been for so long. They completely change their personality to match that of their partner because it's just that much easier.

The hard part is to go out and enjoy life. That alone can mean a lot of different things too. But I think for a lot of people it requires entirely to much effort to find out what else is out there. I think a lot of people are going to wish they spent the time with their friends when they could because as you get older it gets harder and harder to do. I think they also will wish they could have done some different things when they had to opportunity to just get up an go. I'm not talking about flying to Italy on a whim, but maybe just getting away for a weekend, or planning something fun like a short vacation with a group of people. Or going golfing, or just basically anything that gets you off of your ass. TV is great I love it, but there is more to life. Life will pitch you some curve balls, it might even hit you once in while. But when Life's pitching straight meat, you might as well hit it out of the park while you can.

No comments: