Friday, November 13, 2009

Over Saturated

I don't how many of you watched the Thursday game yesterday, but an interesting thing happened in the first quarter, the announcers sound or mics weren't working. So I was watching the game without the talking heads. I thought it was odd at first, but as it went on I started to really enjoy it.
As I'm watching the game with no sound I realize everything I need to know is already on the screen. I know the score, the down and distance, I've even got the yellow line telling me how far they need to go for the first down. And remember as Joe Buck will tell you, that yellow line is not official. But the referees mics worked so I knew what the penalties were. So I wasn't missing any vital information that I needed to enjoy watching the game.
What was I missing. Well in that particular game, I was missing Matt Millen's opinion on everything. Why the hell do I want his opinion on everything. He took over a team and the end result was year after year of being terrible, and then ending it without winning a game. That means that in 2009 Matt Millen and I each built produced 0 victories in the NFL. The difference between us, was that he was the GM for the lions, and I sat at home. What about all these other guys that sit in the booth's and talk. Why the hell do I care what their opinions are. Sure some of them like Troy Aikmen and a handful of others played the game, and can offer insights into the actual game. But most of it is useless, and pointless banter.
What I would like to see is a little less talk in the booth. I realize we're never going to go silent, but less of the pointless comments. Whenever a team is down by 7 with 1:47 left in a game, and it's 4th and 8 from the opponents 47, you do not need to add in the typical, "This is the biggest play of the game" comment. Everyone watching football knows that, and those that don't know, don't care. So please refrain from treating everyone like we're idiots. What we want to know Troy, and Matt is what the players are thinking. Leave the obvious and simple comments to us.

No comments: