Friday, October 16, 2009

"I hate Basketball"

"I hate basketball." That is a term I've heard hundreds of times from hundreds of people in Minnesota. Why do they say it? Not everyone can hate basketball. It gets good ratings, and aside from the lack of attention the Timberwolves get, the league is doing all right. The Timberwolves lack of attention comes from their poor play. Look at when they went to the Western conference finals, and the following year. The Target Center was packed nearly every night. So there were at least 17,000 that didn't hate basketball. If everyone hates basketball, why is basketball on ESPN, while hockey is on VS.? So why does everyone hate basketball?
Is is because we're the so called "State of Hockey." And we're supposed to love hockey, and support that. We'll I"ve got news for the "State of Hockey" citizens, the hockey team might be worse than the basketball team. And the Basketball team has a plan for the future, with good young talent, while the hockey team, has no plan or young talent. Why can't you like hockey and basketball. We can like baseball and football, or soccer and golf. But not hockey and basketball. I hear guys say things like, "Let's see them put on a pair of skates." Well Mr. Junior Gold B player, let's see you run up and down the floor for 40 minutes. That makes 15 minutes of gliding seem pretty easy.
I hear people say that they don't like basketball because they are all a bunch of thugs. We'll that can't be the reason, because the NFL has much more and worse criminals. And we all love the NFL.
One reason people give is because the end of the games take to long with all the fouls. Have you ever seen the end of a Twins game, when they trot out pitcher after pitcher to get one guy out? What about football games, when a team scores we have a commercial, come back watch the kickoff, then another commercial. And heaven help us a reply happens at anytime. So that cant' be the reason.
So I really don't know why everyone "hates basketball" These same guys all love to do a bracket in march madness. I mean basketball is the one sport everyone in the world knows how to play. Every year in school we'd play basketball. in gym.
My opinion is this. These guys don't "hate basketball." They just aren't intelligent enough to formulate their own opinions. They just think that is the Minnesotan thing to say. These are the same people that support a hockey team that is terrible and is getting worse. Hey don't get me wrong, I'm as guilty as anyone. I'm sick of being a patsy for this hockey team, mindlessly forking over thousands of dollars to see a terrible team. But I actually enjoy basketball. I can admit that. Next time a person says they hate basketball think about that person, and you'll realize you don't know anything that person actually does enjoy. It's the "Tom Bernard" way of doing things. Hate everything because it takes to much time and effort to like anything.
So stop saying you "hate basketball." Because you don't. I'm not saying you have to like it. Obviously not everyone likes basketball. But we're not impressed with you basketball haters. I don't care that you grew up on skates, or near a lake. There are far more basketball players in this state than any other sport. So stop trying to impress people with you fake hatred of basketball.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my buddies reasoning for hating basketball is the constant shoe squeaking. He says he wouldnt take tickets for free even if the wolves were a championship team.

Anonymous said...

can you believe a girl is reading about hockey. :) LOL


my mandie reed website

Stueve said...

I hate basketball because of movies like "Juwanna Man" and "Air Bud" at least hockey has inspirational movies like "Mighty Ducks I II III" , "Young Blood", and " Miracle!". So eat it basketball lover!

T1M said...

You've obviously never seen White Men Can't Jump, Hoosiers, or Space Jam.

Not only that you missed Slapshot

Stueve said...

bHow could I have forgotten Slap Shot...

I'll give you Hoosiers and Space Jam, but NOT White Men Can't Jump, it has Rosie Perez and her voice (even though Woody and Wesley are the bomb).

Basketball still sucks