Monday, August 10, 2009

Tiger Woods

What's it like to be Tiger Woods. I went to the practice round today for the PGA Championship and it is crazy. Tiger won a golf event yesterday, and had to of won close to if not a million dollars. For most golfers this would be a career defining moment. Tiger was teeing off at Hazeltine 14 hours later getting ready for the tournament that begins 4 days from now. He was the lone star there. No Phil, Sergio, Padraig (whom should be working on his short game right now, after his triple yesterday), Vijay, Retief, Ernie Els, Cink, and the list goes on and on. Now maybe some of them played this afternoon or are playing tonight. But I found it odd that Tiger was the first on off of the tee.



One of the reasons might be the people that follow him. It is unreal. I actually spent 40 minutes of my life today sitting on #16 waiting for him to come. Since he was the first one out, that meant 40 minutes of me watching the grass grow. But the funny part was that I wasn't the only one doing this. There had to be 5000+ watching grass grow. Just waiting for a glimpse of Tiger. He hit his drive into the fairway, hit his second shot pin high, about 15 feet from the pin. He never putted at the pin once. Steve Williams his caddy dropped about 4 balls, and he and the guys he was playing with (Bubba Watson, and Nick Watney) all putted to circles that were placed on the greens by they're caddies. They did this for about 5 minutes, and left. So 40 minutes of grass growing, for 10 minutes of screwing around. It was like this on every hole too. You could watch former winner Rich Beem with a group of less than 100. You could watch future champ Rory McIllroy with a group of less than 100. I'd imagine if you could watch this action from a plane or helicopter, it would look like ants moving around at a picnic.



I don't like teeing off from the first hole when there is another group watching. I can't imagine playing in front of thousands of people every time you pick up the sticks. I also think that if I won a million dollars yesterday afternoon, I'd take about the next 4 years off. But it says something about him, to see him first off the tee this morning. He definitely wants to win this one.

No comments: