Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Prime

What is your prime. In sports it occurs at different times.
Baseball - You reach your prime somewhere in the 27-31 range. You become smarter as a player, and kind of figure things out. Baseball isn't necessarily based on pure athleticism so knowledge of the game combined with athletic ability is when you reach that point.
Ken Griffey Jr. best years were between the ages of 26-29.
Football - Football it varies by position. I think that it's well known that for Running Backs the age of 30 has proven almost without exception that is the beginning of the end. But for lineman and QB's it's kind of the baseball thing. Where running backs have to rely on instinct alone most other position need that "knowledge of the game"
Marshal Faulk best years were between 25-28
Steve Young, Joe Montana, and John Elway's best years were all after the age of 30
Basketball - Basketball really depends upon the position. Point Guards rely more on instinct and athletic ability so they peak at a much earlier age. Centers have throughout history have peaked in their late 20's and haven't done much later in their careers. I think obviously that has a lot to do with their size, and the bodies ability to handle the stress. Forwards peak in that coveted 27-30 range because their games need that mental ability to match their athletic ability.
Shaquille Oneal had his best years in his late 20's
Kevin Garnett was dominate from 27-30
John Stockton and Jason Kidd really got good when they were 25.
Hockey - I think Hockey players have the longest prime. Because I think the good ones can get by on athleticism early in their careers, and meanwhile they are figuring out the ins and outs of the game. By the time they've lost a step they figure out better angles, they figure out when and where to spend their energy. They don't waste time going around people, they set up the plays more.
If you look at Mark Messier which is one of the greats I know, he found a way to sustain a point per game avg. for 15 years with one exception. But even that year he averaged .98.

What about other sports
Tennis you're done when you reach your mid 20's
Gymanstic's you're best years are when you're a teenager.
Golf you're in your prime throughout your 30's unless you're Vijay Siingh

What about us average folks. When is our prime? My best years athletically were in high school. I'm not a gymnast. So why did that happen. Obviously it's the lack of being forced to work out, and eat healthier. So what are our best years. I think it's different for each person. Some of us it was high school. Some of us it's when you become a parent. Some of us it's when you are working your way up the corporate ladder. I think each person has a different prime. We're not all meant to be athletes, students, parents, spouses, coworkers. So whens your prime?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well obviously you have different primes in different things. I think that in the business world your prime is prbably in your mid 30's to you mid 40's. I think at that time you have the most confidence, respect and ability to still adapt to new technology.

Athletics wise for the average athlete, I guess it depends on how in shape you want to be. I mean I would get my ass kicked by myself 10 years ago in a foot race. But I would also beat the shit out of my 15 year old self in a fist fight. I guess I'm just a little lazier now because I can be. If it really came down to it and I tryed to stay somewhat in shape I think for myself and the average person it would probably be between 25 and 32 or so. By then I think your as developed as you possibly can be in all aspects of athletics in general. I think your mind, body, and instincts are all at their peaks but all it takes is a little effort to try and get them back into competitive form. Beyond 32 or so I think your body naturally starts to change and you lose a little bit of the competitive edge as well.

As for being a student I think your prime would be the time when you are still able to absorb new knowledge but also put the knowledge you've already gained to its best use. I'm not quite sure of an age on that one though.

But like I said each aspect of life probably has its own prime but deductiong an answer from my own conclusions I would say that a person overall is in their existential prime somwhere between 30 and 40. You are physically still in good shape or able to get in good shape probably, still able to learn quite easily, probably in your parenting prime and your proffessinal career is probably where you want it to be by then.

I know there isn't any right answer but thats about the best I could figure it looking at the way life usually goes. But I guess who's to say you're not in your prime, when you retire and you're just sitting back reflecting on what kind of life you led with nothing but satisfaction.

T1M said...

well said my young grasshopper. That is pulitzer prize worthy there. Creating a sentence where you can use existential is magical.

But I agree with you to a point. I think that some people just have certain charicteristics that fit better at certain times.

I think we all know a person who we thought was going to be really well off and successful in high school, and if you look at them now you wonder what happened.

At the same time I think some people take longer to figure things out. So there are probably some extremely successful people out there that didn't even think about it until they hit a much later age.

But in the end I think it all comes down to the eye of the beholder. I think you have to measure what you think is valuable.

Would you rather
Be a High School Sports Star
Be a college graduate
Be an entrepenuer
Be a good parent
Have a great but time consuming job
Have a bad job that let's you spend more time with your family
Would you rather set yourself up for retirement and live without worries

Anonymous said...

All I know is that I'm in my football prime...

as evidenced by that sleet storm beat down last Sunday.