Friday, October 24, 2008

Media Ratings

Every time there is a major championship we hear about and talk about the ratings. We say things like, "I bet you FOX is hoping it's Boston vs. LA in the world series." But who cares. It's fun and interesting to talk about. If the Twins made it to the world series, I wouldn't care if they played the Benson & Orth softball team, and nobody watched the damn games. I mean Philadelphia is the 4th largest market, and Tampa's in the top 15. So how much better do you want it. As a sports fan I think it might add a little interest if it's Chicago vs. Chicago, or New York vs. Boston. But at the end of the day, I'm going to tune in to the World Series regardless of who's playing. I think that is what the NBA does such a good job of is marketing the players and match ups rather than the teams. I'd love to see Lebron vs. Carmelo. That sounds so much better than Cleveland vs. Denver.
Last year the NHL had what I'd assume was their dream match up. Crosby and Malkin vs. The Detroit Red Wings. And they did a good job marketing it, and the ratings were up for the first time in years.
I just thing far to much time is spent talking about ratings, when all the fans want is a good match up. I think if it's a competitive World Series the rating will be fine, they're a lot of exciting players on both teams that are fun to watch, and it shouldn't make a difference how big their home cities are.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it shouldn't matter but just because Philadelphia is the 4th largest market and Tampa is in the top 15 (not sure about top 15 and I'm sure you're not either) doesn't have much to do with the rest of the country. Comparing them to other markets is not what the ratings are talking about. Its about people across the country watching the event. I think more people watch for something interesting between the 2 teams rather than how big of a market that city may have compared to another. I don't really care that it is Tampa and Philly because I will still watch because I am a sports fan. But the average Joe Shmo that doesn't really care would probably be more interested if it were Boston and New York regardless of where they are from.

Anonymous said...

well to me Joe Shmo is an idiot then.

Anonymous said...

Nice come back.

T1M said...

It just doesn't make sense to me that someone would tune in based on the geographical location of the teams.