Monday, February 15, 2010

Men's Olympic Hockey

Tuesday the Men's Olympic Hockey starts, and I can't wait. I'm going to watch every game. I'm going to be the guy that knows who's on Norway's power play. The Olympic hockey tournament one of the if not the greatest sporting events in the world. I'm sure the World Cup is riveting, but I live in the US so I don't care about it. So I'm going to love this hockey tourny.
This is a rare event featuring the best professional athletes and money is not a factor. The NHL takes a huge risk in allowing these players to do this in the middle of their season. But we'll get to see the most skilled hockey players in the world playing for pride. I love fighting in the NHL, and that's where it stays in the NHL. There aren't any goons in this tournament, there is no place for them.
What I love about it, is the fact that these guys fight each other one night, and then turn around and play side by side in the Olympics. As far as the NHL goes, a dream match up would be Washington and Pittsburgh in the Eastern conference finals. Crosby and Malkin against Ovechkin and Backstrom. In the Olympics you might have Ovechkin and Malkin against Crosby for the gold medal in Crosby's home country.
Most teams have great goalies, so they matchups become so important, because any one of the goalies can win a game by himself.
FEBRUARY 21st.
Game #1 Czech Rupublic vs. Russia
Game #2 USA vs. Canada
Game #3 Finland vs. Sweden
These aren't cities that don't like each other. Yesterday I went to Minnesota vs. Vancouver, and it's a fun rivalry, but these games pit countries against each other that don't get along. Now this isn't 1980 USA vs. Russia, but it's still fun. I don't anything about Sweden or Finland, but I do know that they don't like each other. So I'm going to watch the little hockey war play out.
So tune in, and enjoy it. Because this isn't normal hockey, it's like 3 all-star games a day, that play the best defense in the world. You have the best players and coaches playing for pride.

No comments: